Expressions of Compliment and Gratitude

Expressions of Compliment and Gratitude


       Expression of Compliment is an expression that we say to express or give praise to someone else
       Some people use compliment to “butter up” somebody or to flatter in order to increase good will, for example :
Ø   On his/her general appearance
 
Ø  If you notice something new about the person’s appearance
 
Ø  When you visit someone’s house for the first time
 
Ø  When other people do their best

Asking for Compliments
Ø   What do you think of my new ……, (then)?
Ø   I think …. suits me. Don’t you?
Ø  Do you like my (new) …..?

Expressing Compliment
ü  Well done!
ü  Fantastic!
ü  That’s great!
ü  I like …
ü  That/Those …. is/are nice.
ü   look/looks nice on you.
ü  You do look nice in ….
ü  You have a beautiful hair.
ü  You have a nice voice.
Responding to a Compliment
v  Thank you/Thanks
v  It’s nice of you to say so
v   Really? I’m not sure about it, actualy
v   Do you really think so?
v   It’s very kind of you to say that
v  Thanks, I need that
v   You’ve my day.

v  Example of  dialog in expression compliment
v 
Harsya: What a great Motorcycle you have, Pandu.
Pandu : Thank you, Harsya. I just finished modifying it.
Harsya: You mean this is the old motorcycle that you used to drive to school?
Pandu : Yes, it is.
Harsya: It looks a lot different. What did you do to it?
Pandu : Not much. I had it paint with a brighter colour and add some new accessories.
Harsya: Great job!
Pandu : Thanks

       Gratitude is an expression that we show or say to express grateful feeling to other people, when speaking English, you say “thanks” very often. Please say “thank you” when people give you something and give you compliment, etc.

       Expressing Gratitude
ü  Thank you very much
ü  Thanks a lot
ü  I should like to express my gratitude for..
ü  I should like to express my appreciation for …
ü  I’m really obligated to you for …
ü  I’m really grateful to you for …
ü  Thanking
ü  Thank you for your help
ü  I’m really very grateful to you
ü  You’re welcome
ü  Don’t mention it
ü  It’s a pleasure / My pleasure
ü  I want to express my gratitude to (my teacher, my father, etc)
ü  I am grateful to your help
ü  Thank you very much
ü  Responding to a Gratitude
ü  You are welcome
Don’t mention it
It’s my pleasure
No problem
Not at all
That’s alright.

ü  Example of Dialog Expressing Gratitude

A : It’s so hot here.
B : That’s right, I feel so sultry. It’s because the Air Conditioner is being repaired. it’s broken.
A : Do you have a fan or something else to cool down.
B : I don’t have it. But I’ll try to open the window, hope it will be better.
A : Thank you very much.
B : Not at all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dialogue about Advertisement